13.09.2015 21:32 h

Ajax, Wits lead, but Chiefs get attention

Ajax Cape Town and Wits won this weekend to share the South African Premiership fourth-round lead, but four-goal Kaizer Chiefs grabbed most attention.

Nathan Paulse and Abbubaker Mobara had Ajax two goals ahead after only seven minutes and they won 2-1 at home to generally poor travellers Polokwane City.

Jabulani Shongwe converted a cross six minutes after half-time to earn Wits a 1-0 victory at struggling Pretoria University.

But both successes were laboured compared to defending champions Chiefs, who stormed back to trounce SuperSport United 4-1 in northern city Polokwane and climb one place to third.

George Lebese bagged a brace for the Amakhosi (Chiefs) and raised his season goal tally to six in all competitions.

Black Aces, leaders going into the weekend, did not play because opponents Orlando Pirates had a CAF Confederation Cup group game against Zamalek in Egypt.

Ajax shade Wits on goal difference after both collected nine points, Chiefs and Platinum Stars have eight each and Bloemfontein Celtic, Aces and Golden Arrows seven apiece.

After starting the season with a loss at Wits, an Ajax team coached by former South Africa goalkeeper Roger de Sa have capitalised on playing three consecutive home league games by winning them all.

Polokwane, a match for any Premiership side at home but consistent away losers, cut the deficit on 15 minutes through Jabulani Maluleke to keep Ajax on tenterhooks.

Pretoria against Wits was not for the faint hearted with a lot of raw physicality on show in a game settled by an exquisite finish.

A cross came to Shongwe at an awkward height -- too low to head -- but he connected with his left foot and gave Zimbabwe goalkeeper Washington Arubi no chance.

Togolese Dove Wome put SuperSport ahead before half-time against Chiefs in a fixture that traditionally delivers close, low-scoring encounters.

Chiefs responded with a superb second-half showing and after Lebese equalised, Ugandan Ivan Bukenya put the visitors ahead just before the hour.

Recent SuperSport signing and former national team captain Dean Furman was red-carded 11 minutes from time after a second caution.

A numerical advantage allowed Chiefs to score two late goals with Lebese striking again before Siphiwe Tshabalala converted a stoppage-time penalty.

Mamelodi Sundowns, rated by many pundits as the team likeliest to challenge Chiefs for the title, lost for the second time in four outings as they fell 2-1 at promoted Golden Arrows.

Ryan Chapman scored the 70th-minute winner in Indian Ocean city Durban for Arrows, who have exceeded expectations to lie seventh after two wins and a draw.

Previously pointless Free State Stars climbed off the bottom and out of the drop zone by trouncing visiting Chippa United 3-0 in Bethlehem with Belgian Andrea Fileccia scoring twice.