Relapsed Florenzi to miss Roma title challenge
Italy international Alessandro Florenzi is out of action until next season after undergoing a second knee operation in four months, his club Roma said on Friday.
"The recovery period is estimated at five months," Roma said, meaning the 25-year-old will only be back for the start of next season.
Florenzi, who can play at full-back or in midfield, suffered a second cruciate knee ligament rupture earlier this week.
He had torn the same ligament in October and had only just returned to full training.
"Alessandro underwent reconstructive surgery today which confirmed the rupture of the previously reconstructed ligament," the club statement added.
The injury is a major blow for Roma, who are challenging for the Serie A title and are currently second behind champions Juventus.
A local-born player, Florenzi has often filled in as captain at Roma in the absence of club legends Francesco Totti and Daniele De Rossi.
He has played 24 times for Italy.